Kenya shipyards Limited is mainly designed for ship building, however, its roles in support of industry and developmental engineering is prominent. It has a record of service to rail industry and general engineering and has promoted further diversifications of its general engineering activities
Functions Of Kenya Shipyards Limited
KSL’s vision is “To be the leading catalyst of development of shipbuilding industry in Eastern Africa” and its mission is “To initiate and develop the growth of Shipbuilding Industry through the provision of world-class maritime services, repairs, maintenance, refits, and construction of ships”.
The functions of KSL shall be to:
- Design and construction of new ships and ship components.
- Ship repair and maintenance.
- Ship refit and conversion.
- Other maritime services.
The Kenya Shipyards Limited (KSL) is a state Company under the Ministry of Defence (MOD).
Vide Executive Order CAB/GEN.3/1/1 (60) dated 14 August 2020, the National Security Council approved the establishment of Kenya Shipyards Limited to address operational requirements of the Kenya Navy and MDAs and utilize the excess capacity to generate revenue for the Government by tapping into the available local and regional market for construction, repair and maintenance of ships and provision of other maritime services.
Consequently, KSL was incorporated on 29th September 2020 as a limited company with the National Treasury as the sole shareholder. The core mandate is to lead and catalyze the
introduction of the shipbuilding industry in East Africa with a focus on meeting the local demand from the Kenya Navy, MDAs, and other public and private operators.
- Quality defines our services or products offered to current and future customers
- World-class quality standards, processes, and procedures are in place through our partner’s decades of R&D experience
- Partially relying on partnership with M/s Damen to address quality assurance standards
- Future partnerships with other quality-minded shipbuilders
- We understand our customers’ needs, expectations, and aspirations
- We are leading the domestic and regional opportunities while M/s Damen leads the global demands based within Eastern Africa.
- Our objective is to become the preferred quality maritime services and product partner for customers in Eastern Africa.
- To deliver competitive pricing to domestic, regional, and global customers, KSL focuses on gaining cost advantage in three key areas; Global quality delivered locally
- Creating a dynamic shipbuilding cluster
- Highly Capable Local Team
- We are extending partnerships to other developed counties. We have signed a detailed framework agreement with Damen for technology transfer, building assistance, and yard Upgrades.
- Our partnership framework supports a fast-tracked setup, technical capability transfer, R&D, proactive sales and marketing and supply chain platform, and integrated logistics support
Research and Development